Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Percentage difference between two data sets

walkerj7
7 - Meteor

Hello,

I have two data sets that I have already summarized to achieve counts by a particular group.  Now I need to see the % difference for total, by particular group and subset of that group.  The table below represents the data structure from both datasets, and the counts are different and the fee totals are different.  After summarizing, how do I determine the % difference in counts to see who had more fees assigned (by title and title2), and then how do I see the % difference in fee totals?

NameTitleTitle 2Fee
John DoeSoftwareSoftware Leader100
Santa ClauseSoftwareSoftware Leader200
Jack KentMarketingMarketing Analyst

Boo DouglasMarketing Marketing Analyst

Thanks,

JW

9 REPLIES 9
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Add additional Summarize Tools after this one. One tool would Group by Title and Sum Fee, the other Summarize Tool would Group by Title 2 and Sum Fee. From there you can do whatever calculations you'd like. 

Raj
15 - Aurora

Do want this or someting else

NameTitleTitle 2FeeResult
John DoeSoftwareSoftware Leader100Lowest
Santa ClauseSoftwareSoftware Leader200100%
Jack KentMarketingMarketing Analyst100Lowest
Boo DouglasMarketing Marketing Analyst15050%
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

What determines the %? Why is 200 = to 100% and 150 only 50%?

Raj
15 - Aurora

@cjaneczko as it is 100% more than the lowest and similar with 50%

100+100%= 200

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Try this.

image.pngimage.png

Raj
15 - Aurora

@cjaneczko 
this is to be confirmed by @walkerj7  is he looking for this or something else.

walkerj7
7 - Meteor

Thanks for all the advice on how to solve this.  Just for transparency my output should look like the following:

TitleTitle Count within its datasetTitle % of Total (Based on it's dataset)Title Count Difference between datasetsAverage Fee % difference (fee total in dataset a vs fee total in dataset b)
Marketing (Dataset A)2037%40% lower than Dataset B$50 lower
Marketing (Dataset B)3548%40% higher than Dataset A$50 higher

Then I would do this for Title 2 and in the end my analysis would determine which titles have higher fee counts and which titles have a biggest difference in fee totals.

Raj
15 - Aurora

is this the complete data set for which you have shared the sample output

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Going to need a lot more sample data to get the info you need. A sample of Data A and Sample of Data B. But you would need to add quite a few summarize tools, some Unions, some Append tools with Join tools to get to where you need to go. Its all doable, but a larger sample size of both data sets would be good. Its difficult to tell how you got to the 40% and $50 fee without the math that shows it, or sample data that adds up to that 40% and $50. The original samples don't add up to your desired output. Are you comparing the fees and title counts between the two sets against all titles or just same titles?

Labels