Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Percentage calculation and Trimleft formula

Kshen
7 - Meteor

I have two issues as the following

1. I have used the formula below to calculate tax percentage. (Data Type: V_WString, Size 4). However, the result is inconsistent. As you can see from the screen shot below, row 10 and row 11 both did the calculation, but in a inconsistent format. I'd like something to show as either 7.74% or 0.0774. Either format will be fine, but I'd like to have consistency across the file. 

[Sales Tax Amt]/[Sum_Line Item Amount]

Kshen_1-1633653710608.png

Kshen_0-1633653468670.png

2. In Customer column below, I'd like to move the leading zeros. I used formula below to Trimleft, but I received an error message that I am not sure how to fix. 

Kshen_2-1633653855301.png

Kshen_4-1633653896152.png

Kshen_5-1633653920246.png

Any help will be appreciated. Thank you!!

7 REPLIES 7
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Hi @Kshen 

For the first item, is there a reason you're using a string datatype? Try making it a double to rule out any quirks around data types.

For the second, you need to give the new field you're calculating a name. In the top left of the formula screenshot you can do this where it says "select a column "

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hey @Kshen. Are you able to share the bit of the workflow you're struggling with? That first one is very odd. I suggest you output to a numerical field type (float, double or fixed decimal). And your formula is correct in the second one. Perhaps you have an extra empty calculation that's throwing an error. 

As I say, can certainly help if you share the workflow.

Kshen
7 - Meteor

Thank you all for the prompt response! For #1 above, I changed to double and it resolved the problem. The only question I have left is how can I limit number of digit after decimal points? Currently, Alteryx rounded the number into the nearest 6 decimal points. I'd like to change it to 3. See screen shots below

For #2 above, once I added a new column and trim left, it worked! 

Kshen_0-1633672793140.png

Kshen
7 - Meteor

Thank you for the prompt response! For #1 above, I changed to double and it resolved the problem. The only question I have left is how can I limit number of digit after decimal points? Currently, Alteryx rounded the number into the nearest 6 decimal points. I'd like to change it to 3. See screen shots below

For #2 above, once I added a new column and trim left, it worked! 

Kshen_0-1633672793140.png

Kshen
7 - Meteor

Hi @PhilipMannering, Thank you for your response! 

I changed data type to Double and it worked for item #1. 

For item #2, unsure if there is any other way, but I created one new role for the Trimleft, it worked! Now the workflow is showing as below

Kshen_1-1633673270872.png

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

Round([Sales Tax Amt]/[Sum_Line Item Amount].0.001)

Kshen
7 - Meteor

Thank you!!

Labels