Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Pattern works outside of Alteryx but not in Alteryx

alexg1
8 - Asteroid

So the title says it all. I am trying to extract a sheet name from the Filename column of an Excel file. So the string I am trying to pull data from looks like this:

[pc file path].xlsx|||`run_1$`

And my target string that I want to extract looks like this:

run_1

And my RegEx pattern looks like this:

\`(.*?)\`

When I try this pattern or similar ones in online RegEx testers I can get the result I want, or close enough that I can clean it up with additional tools. But depending on how I configure the Alteryx RegEx tool when I try it using the RegEx tool's parse mode I either get an empty column, or the full string I am trying to extract my target string from in one column, and an additional empty column. I'm not sure if I'm misunderstanding the examples and documentation Alteryx gives, or if this is due to my lack of experience with Regex generally. Any help is appreciated!

2 REPLIES 2
Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

You don't seem to need to escape the ` character, this worked for me:

`(.*)`

Christina_H_0-1682439358540.png

alexg1
8 - Asteroid

That was perfect, thank you! I guess I'm just not used to how Alteryx implements the syntax yet.

Labels