Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Password Protected Excel File with Interface Tool

cbil
6 - Meteoroid

Hello All,

I know this topic has many threads attached to it, but none of the solutions have worked for me. 

I am trying to read in a user-uploaded password protector excel file (via the file upload tool / action tool). The password and sheet name for this file will always be the same, but the file itself will just change as it is updated weekly so the user needs to upload it themselves. 

I know there must be a python tool / R tool that could do this, but every example I have come across hasn't worked with my workflow and I'm unsure why. 

Please let me know if any uploads would be helpful etc - I am really at a loss now. 

Thank you for any and all help. 

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

These are the only two posts I've noted as "could be useful" for Excel files protected by a password.  I haven't tried either proposed solution.  Guessing R code may be the way to go.

Input and Output password protected XLSX files in Alteryx: March 2018
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Input-and-Output-password-protected-XL...

A quick tip for reading in password protected excel files: July 2019
https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/A-quick-tip-for-reading-in-password-pr...

Chris

apathetichell
19 - Altair

send the filebrowse to a text input tool - yes a text input tool.

capture the password via text input tool.

send both into python tool/R

have python/R open the file as you would via the instrutions provided on password protected files.

continue with workflow. you may need a batch macro to access the file/sheet after unlocking.

key point - you will not be inputing the file directly to your workflow - at least not at first - you must bring the file in via python/R in order to unlock it. 

Labels