Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse data between specific characters

jpaplanus
6 - Meteoroid

Hello community.

I am trying to parse data from a string. Based on the structure of the string I am almost certain that RegEx would be the solution, but admittedly I might as well be trying to read a symbol-based language when it comes to RegEx. I struggle to understand the basics of it. Below is an example of one string that is contained in a single cell. In some cases the field may only have one value I am trying to get, while others, like the below, will have multiple. The data is coming out of a SharePoint list. I am looking to grab the text after "Value", so in the below I am trying to get my parsed results column to be Middle,National,Technical,Finance. This column could have as many as 11 values I am trying to parse out so I want to be sure I can catch all of them.

[{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":5,"Value":"Middle"},{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":6,"Value":"National"},{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":7,"Value":"Technical"},{"@odata.type":"#Microsoft.Azure.Connectors.SharePoint.SPListExpandedReference","Id":3,"Value":"Finance"}]

Any help is greatly appreciated! I am also very open to a solution that does not involve RegEx as it would be easier for me to replicate in the future with some other dataset. 

7 REPLIES 7
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @jpaplanus 

Try this formula

REGEX_Replace([Input], '(.*?Value"\:")(.*?)("\})(\,?)(]?.*?)', '$2$4')

regexmiddle.png

jdminton
12 - Quasar

Here is a non-regex solution for your issue

Snag_12835ccb.png

Snag_1283ea75.pngSnag_12840456.png

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Combining both @Felipe_Ribeir0 and @jdminton 's solutions, you get this:

image.png

Here's the REGEX Parse:

"Value":"(.*?)"

If the above solved your need, kindly like & mark as accepted solution so that you may help others find the solution more quickly + to close the thread as is. Thanks!

Best regards,
Calvin Tang
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
jpaplanus
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you @Felipe_Ribeir0 for the solution. This worked perfectly! Someday I will try and fully understand all of the elements of the Regex formula. 

Thank you @jdminton for the suggestion. Your idea almost worked. I think my pasted text of the field may have been misleading. It is all one string field, not four different rows.

jrgo
14 - Magnetar

Here's an alternative option that doesn't require regex. Being that the string field is JSON formatted, you can use the JSON Parse tool to extract the objects values.

image.png

jdminton
12 - Quasar

@jpaplanus yes, I started it as one string. If you want the results combined together, add a summarize tool at the end to concatenate. You can put a record ID tool in the beginning to track the string throughout the process. group by on the record ID and concatenate to get the results for more than one string.

jpaplanus
6 - Meteoroid

Thanks @jrgo, I did not even think of this. A great solution to this particular situation!

Labels