Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Parse Data

DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

Hello, 

Can anyone help me to Parse the Below required Data. I need only the 1st part of the data from the required field. 

For example : 1. ChemTreat [DHH-00-1100.148] 

Data I need: ChemTreat

2. X-Rite [DHH-00-1100.185 ]

Data i need: X-Rite 

So basically I need only the part before starting of [DHH-00....]

4 REPLIES 4
binuacs
21 - Polaris
DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@binuacs . Thank you for a quick response and that did work Fine. 

MarqueeCrew
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@DataPirate26 ,

Using a Regular Expression is a quick solve.  RegEx is not always the way to go though.  I want you to consider the following alternative solution paths:

1.  PARSE tool:  You have a string that is delimited by the "[" square bracket character.  Your data likely has a SPACE in front of that character.  You can use a Text to Columns tool and then use a formula with a TRIM() function to remove the unwanted space.

2.  FindString() will find the " [" space followed by a left square bracket character and will return the position (0 based).  You can then use a LEFT() function to get the right number of characters:

1         2         3
|----+----|----+----|----+----|
ChemTreat [DHH-00-1100.148] 
X-Rite [DHH-00-1100.185 ]

The findstring function will return 9 and 6 for these examples.  You can then use:

Left([ParseMePlease],Findstring([ParseMePlease]," ["))

The one formula (nesting) will get you your solution without the risk of RegEx coming to bite you.

Cheers,

Mark

@estherb47 

Alteryx ACE & Top Community Contributor

Chaos reigns within. Repent, reflect and restart. Order shall return.
Please Subscribe to my youTube channel.
DataPirate26
10 - Fireball

@MarqueeCrew . This was perfect. Thank you

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels