Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Output Multiple Files

Vyx
7 - Meteor

Hi All,

I've been following the below discussion in order to output multiple files from my workflow

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Output-data-into-multiple-files/td-p/1...

I seem to hit a snag that isn't addressed in the above thread though! I keep receiving an error message that states:

Error: Output Data (9): Unable to Open archive for zipping: C:\File Path.File Name.xlsx Can't open file: C:\File Path.File Name.xlsx : The system cannot find the path specified.

The input file is taken from the same folder so I know it's not a system issue. I can't share the workflow as some of the details are proprietary! 

Thanks for your help in advance.

KR,

V

4 REPLIES 4
DataNath
17 - Castor

By the looks of the directory etc in the error message, it looks like the output tool will need tweaking:

Your 'C:\File Path.File Name.xlsx' should look more like 'C:\filepath\filename.xlsx|||Sheet1' - have you set up the formula right where you generate your filepath? And then changed the output method to 'Change Entire File Path' (shown below)?

DataNath_0-1652652448192.png

Also, a very easy thing to overlook, but do you have the correct format etc set here (i.e. .xlsx)?

DataNath_1-1652652502058.png

If not, just let us know and we can keep helping you troubleshoot. I know you mentioned that the data is proprietary but if you could provide a screenshot, even of your input/output configurations, that'd certainly help! Cheers.

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

HI @Vyx, the error you see mostly occurs when you do not have direct access to the path let's say you need admin permission to access the folder, but that might not be the case here.

Below is the screenshot of my formula tool and output tool configuration

grazitti_sapna_1-1652678808864.png

grazitti_sapna_0-1652678773840.png

In case you want to debug the issue try creating a file on the desktop first. In file path put the path of a dummy folder created on desktop and then try writing the file that will easily create one.

Thanks!

Sapna Gupta
Vyx
7 - Meteor

Hi @grazitti_sapna,

Funny enough I managed to solve the issue on my own in the end! The issue was that one of the values I was using to determine the number of output files was an error message so the output couldn't work. 

As such I converted error messages to nulls and filtered out the nulls so they wouldn't be in my output! 

Thanks for your help! I posted as I had spent hours trying to fix it only to spend 5 mins on it the next day and realise my problem! 

KR,

Vyx

grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

@Vyx , Glad to know you were able to figure out the problem.

Sapna Gupta
Labels