Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

New issue connecting to PostgreSQL database in Designer Desktop version 2023.1

Amanda_Breeze
8 - Asteroid

Hi Alteryx fam!

I've recently upgraded to Designer Desktop version 2023.1 and am having issues connecting to a PostgreSQL database using an existing connection. 

A few strange things are happening here.

1. As soon as I complete the connection configuration the application freezes temporarily.
  2. I'm getting a message saying that "There is no LUA script, using generic ODBC for DSN: database name." I don't know what that means.
  3. When I click on the Input tool, I can see the database tables in the Tables and the Visual Query Builder views. This tells me Alteryx is successfully connecting to the database so there are no issues with my access permissions. I can also connect to the database using the same connection credentials with a different application, so the problem is definitely within Alteryx.
  4. If I select a table using either the Table view or the Visual Query builder and run the workflow, it takes nearly 2 mins to run and results in an error saying "The Designer x64 reported: You have found a bug. The pipe has been ended." 
  5. If I use the SQL Editor, the Test Query button is greyed out (see my other Community post about that here). Clicking it results in a Win32 Exception. Again, I can view this table in another application, and Alteryx can see the tables so this cannot be a permission issue.

I have provided screenshots showing the errors I'm seeing.

Results window showing error message "The Designer x64 reported: You have found a bug. The pipe has been ended."Results window showing error message "The Designer x64 reported: You have found a bug. The pipe has been ended."Win32 Exception in Input Tool's SQL EditorWin32 Exception in Input Tool's SQL Editor

Other details and questions:

I am using the official 64-bit PostgreSQL Unicode driver (psqlODBC).

I have other Postgres databases but they are not experiencing this issue. However, the database on which I am getting these errors is running an older version of PostgreSQL (version 10.21). The other databases are on PostgreSQL version 12.12.

Does Alteryx 2023.1 support PostgreSQL version 10.21? And if we upgrade to PostgreSQL version 14 will that be supported?

Thanks in advance.

1 REPLY 1
geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@Amanda_Breeze 

Have you entered the Alteryx site for datasources for version 2023.1 and downloaded the driver for postgresql?

Labels