Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Need to maintain Line Breaks in the Render Output to Excel

IntlTaxGuy16
7 - Meteor

Dear community members!

Column headers in my source contain line breaks, which I would like to maintain when I output to Excel using the Render tool. 

Table, Layout and Render tools are needed for my workflow and the output. The issue is that Render tool is removing the line breaks (non ASCII characters).  Output tool on the other hand, kept those line breaks. 

Is there a way to keep the line breaks when outputting from the Render tool or a perhaps another way to achieve the desired presentation shown in the picture below even if the line breaks are removed? A sample workflow is attached.   

Greatly appreciate your input!  

9 REPLIES 9
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@IntlTaxGuy16 one way of doing this

image.png

IntlTaxGuy16
7 - Meteor

Hi binuacs, Thanks a lot. I have accepted your suggestion as a solution. It worked for some of the columns. 

However, I am using this in a batch macro and some columns headers still contain _x000D_ after the batch macro output.  I will recreate the workflow and share later, which will take some time since proprietary data will need to be removed. The issue maybe because of the batch macro or other steps included in the output from Render tool.  

IntlTaxGuy16
7 - Meteor

Hi binuacs, I have attached a workflow where the line breaks are still showing up in the Render output after I selected PCXML option.  

Can you please suggest a solution that will fix the issue? 

beatriz_alteryx06
8 - Asteroid

Hi @IntlTaxGuy16 ,

had this similar problem before, but my line breack needed to be upright between different tables.

The format xlsx is one of the only that doesn't keep format, delet line breaks, spaces and white spots that are acceptable in render.

What i have done is create a new empty column after the talhe tool and transform only that in table obscuring the header and joining it (Union) between the report text and the actual table. The rest is just Layout.

Ps: The breaks in your header happen a lot in that file format. You can solve it by Text input (new headers names) and Dynamic Rename after the Input tool.

Helped a bit?

IntlTaxGuy16
7 - Meteor

Thanks a lot beatriz_alteryx06 for looking into this issue.

I will greatly appreciate if you can share a workflow or update the one I attached earlier? The challenge I have is that the number of fields and the field names keep changing form store to store. Therefore, I am trying to find a dynamic solution for removing the line breaks.  

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@IntlTaxGuy16 i updated the macro to remove the those letters

image.png

IntlTaxGuy16
7 - Meteor

Hi binuacs,

Thanks for updating the workflow. I was not able to figure out the change you have made. It does remove those letters when I ran the workflow you uploaded. However, I will need to apply this change to my actual workflow. 

Can you please let me know the change? 

IntlTaxGuy16
7 - Meteor

Never mind, I see your change. Thanks again. 

IntlTaxGuy16
7 - Meteor

@binuacs  The workflow you shared worked for me.  Thanks a lot! 

I have accepted as a solution.  

Labels