Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Matching a row string with row+1 and replacing row+1 string with the row string

danial_j
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I hope all of you are having a good start of the year.

I was wondering that this might be actually simple but I don't know how to implement that. Here is the example dataset:

-----------------------------

ADV

Bravo

Bravo Tech

Gamma group

Gamma Industries Co

------------------------------

Now there are only 3 companies in this field (ADV, Bravo and Gamma). Idea is to merge this field into three rows only (3 companies).

- I know atleast for the first 4 rows. I could do something like string matching and if string of row matches row+1 (something like fuzzy match with a threshold or matching the first word without spaces), then the following row+1 can be replaced with the row string. Any idea how to do this?

- For the last two rows, I am not sure if that is even possible to handle such cases. I tried removing words such as "group" "co" and many more but this takes forever and lot of visual inspection of field which has more than 10,000 companies.

A help will be much appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
mbarone
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

If you're certain any value with the string "adv" should all translate to just "adv", and the same holds true for the gamma & bravo, I would do something like create a conditional formula like:

IIF(Contains([DataField],'adv'),'adv',

IIF(Contains([DataField],'gamma'),'gamma',

IIF(Contains([DataField],'bravo'),'bravo',

Null()

)))

Using Null just in case one of the values does not contain adv, gamma, or bravo.

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @danial_j 

Would a fuzzy matching logic work for this example?

pedrodrfaria_0-1610049448415.png

Labels