Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance between 2-3 hours, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Linking Two or More Workflows

Dheeru28
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I have three workflows and I want to call out the last two from within the first workflow as the output of first workflow is used as an input in the other two.

Each of them are quite extensive in their use of tools so bringing all those tools in the same workflow will become very complex to manage.

Is there a way to link them so that the first workflow runs and just before the output is taken it calls the second and third workflows and runs them.

4 REPLIES 4
FinnCharlton
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Dheeru28 , sounds like you need to use chained apps. If you turn your workflows into Analytical Apps (which you can do in the Workflow tab of the Configuration window) you can chain them together. This means when the first finishes, the second will automatically load and run. To set up this chaining, go to the Interface Designer window, click on the properties tab and select 'On Success - Run Another Analytical App:

Screenshot 2023-07-20 092913.png

Here is a good video resource to learn more about chained apps: https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Interactive-Lessons/Chaining-Analytic-Apps/ta-p/243120 

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

You can use Crew Macros 'Runners': https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9AiMdKp7wmk&ab_channel=DigiBytes 

These macros can make the workflows run sequentially and conditionally. 

I guess you also have the option of doing some funky things with Control Containers (as this provides sequencing). However, given that you're workflow sound large, I'd opt to use the macros. They've worked well for me.

All the best,

BS

In this video, Vaibhav Gupta is explaining the use of two Crew Macros of alteryx, namely - Runner & Conditional Runner Macros. He is covering both the scenarios of Failure & Success with simple examples. You can also learn more about alteryx by visiting following links: Alteryx Beginner Video: ...
Dheeru28
8 - Asteroid

@FinnCharlton 

I converted two workflows to analytic apps. Then I changed the Interface Designer properties of the first and ran it. But the second workflow didn't run. Is there a step that I'm missing?

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

@Dheeru28 if you work through the link that @FinnCharlton provided, you can see how to configure things for chained apps.

Labels