Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Join 2 files using ID numbers without sequential ID numbers

Carolyn
11 - Bolide

Hi! I'm hoping someone can help me...

I have 2 files: 

• File 1 = Daily credit card transactions where they're summed by daily ID numbers into batches.
    • For example, ID 170 in the screenshot below indicates that I had $5 in credit card transactions as part of the batch ID on that day, which was 170. 
  • File 2 = Aggregate that was paid by the credit card merchant. They don't pay on a daily basis. When they do pay, they pay everything for that ID and lower that hadn't been paid yet. It's also net of fees
    • For example, when ID 174 was paid, its total was for 174 and lower, which = 170, 171, and 172 in this case
    • ID 178 was paid and it covered 178, 177, and 176.  

In the screenshot below, I color coded to show which lines go together. I'm also attaching the Excel sheets. 

I'm stuck on how to join (or otherwise connect) the 2 files. The only thing I can think of is having a Formula Tool do "ID + 1", "ID + 2", "ID + 3" for awhile for File 1 and then do a bunch of Join Tools so if File 1 ID = File 2 ID -> done, otherwise, check if File 1 ID + 1 = File 2 ID, otherwise..., and just keep doing that, but that seems silly

Color coded info.png

4 REPLIES 4
Clifford_Coon
11 - Bolide

Hi @Carolyn ,

Here is one Way:

1. Use a Multi-Row Formula to get the previous ID on the row.
  2. Use Generate rows to create the new ID to Join on.
  3. Join ID to new ID (discard R)

File1.jpg

File2.jpg

Carolyn
11 - Bolide

Hi @Clifford_Coon , 

That's exactly what I needed - thank you!

SPetrie
13 - Pulsar

If I am understanding correctly, you want to tag the rows in file 1 with the id from file 2 that it was paid with?

Im not sure where the totals are coming from since file 1 is round numbers and file 2 has decimals, but I think I can help with the tagging part.

You can use a dynamic replace to add formulas to check the values.

The basic gist is that I use File2 to build if statements that evaluate to True or False. It evaluates them in order, so what comes out needs to be sorted.

It then applies those to a tag field I created and adds the ID to the Tag field if it fits the criteria.

I randomized the order of File 1 just to make sure that File 1 order didnt matter (which it doesnt, but File 2 order does)

pic1.PNG

pic2.PNG

example workflow is attached.

Carolyn
11 - Bolide

Hi @SPetrie

Thank you for that workflow with the Dynamic Replace. I haven't used that tool yet but that's exactly what I'm trying to do (I'll ultimately want to compare totals from File 1 to File 2 to calculate the fees, but that's easy once they're together. 

Thank you!

Labels