Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLUCIONADO

Is there a way to set a text file or similar as an example of how I want my data set?

Lili7891
Meteoro

Hello all, 

Still learning, fairly new to all this and have used alteryx for quite basic data [processing at the moment. 

I'm at a stage now where I want to eventually join two files to create an output document - both these files will essentially have the same information, but set out differently as they are managed by different teams. I've tidied and set up Dataset 1 so that the final output represents the below (but with about 1000 or so rows):

NameTeamCategoryHours
AUKAdmin10
BUSManagement22

This wasn't too hard a job as essentially the file was set up in a similar manner, so just needed some selection, parsing and filtering. 

However, Dataset 2 is set up completely differently (see example file), even though it will still have the same information, so I was wondering if 

a) Is it possible to set up maybe a text input file or something similar so that I could join it into the data so it could follow the format as above?

b) What is the best approach of getting this data set to follow the same format as the above so that I can merge it with the above to end up with a table that looks like the following:

NameTeamCategoryHours
AUKAdmin10
BUSManagement22
ANew Team*Admin18.5
BNew TeamManagement4.5

(*I guess I will have to add another column in somewhere so that the team data pulls in - hence why I thought the text file would be the best option)

Hopefully making sense, hopefully someone has an answer.

Many thanks!

2 RESPOSTAS 2
randreag
Bólide

Hi @Lili7891 

if I understood your problem you need that the example file has the same format as the table you show. In that order you don't need to join. 

I think the best a approach is to organize the data in the way you need and then use Union tool to leave it in one table.

I tried to simulate the idea, I attached the example. I was not sure in the file what was the field Name and Team

I hope it helps or at least gave you an idea

Lili7891
Meteoro

Thanks ever so much for your help, I get it's not easy working out what's required when you don't have access to the real data, but you certainly put me on the right path! 🙂

Enquetes
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Rótulos