Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Is there a way for multiple users to edit the same work flow simultaneously?

bkaehny
5 - Atom

We have Alteryx Server 2022.1. I have users who want to edit the same workflow at the same time. Is it possible to do this? If so, how? The reason for this is that the workflow needs to bring in multiple inputs, and each user is an expert on a different one of the inputs. So each user would work on different parts of the workflow.

4 REPLIES 4
martinding
13 - Pulsar

Hi @bkaehny ,

It is possible for multiple people to work on/ edit the same workflow, and as a best practice, there should be proper version controls.

This is best done through the Alteryx Server, and one way to implement this is by adding the experts/users to a collection: https://help.alteryx.com/20211/server/collections-gallery-interface

But I am not sure if there is a way for users to work on a workflow together in real-time (e.g. without first finishing their part and uploading their workflow to the server)

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

@bkaehny ,

It is possible to "check-out" a workflow from Gallery Collection by multiple users simultaneously,

but I suppose it is difficult to "merge" the updates from multiple users back to one workflow.

If a workflow has multiple inputs and each one requires a unique domain knowledge,

I would recommend decomposing it to several modules by each domain and develop another workflow to put them together.

In this way, each experts can develop independently (and the maintenance will be easier).

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi @bkaehny 

One way to accomplish this is to have the Input experts create separate workflows that just extract and clean the data from each of their respective systems.  Once these are properly configured, convert them to standard macros by adding a Macro output tool plus any interface tools(if required).  In the main workflow, you can then just drop the Input macros and proceed with joining and processing the combined data.  

This way you can have a team of people working on the process simultaneously.  Any changes that are required to the Input macros can be done to the specific macro while the development of the main workflow is proceeding.

Dan  

bkaehny
5 - Atom

Thanks for all the ideas everyone! I will follow up with my users to see if any of these will solve their use case.

Labels