Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Inputting Multiple Sheets Into Single Excel Workbook

jyeung753
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

It would be greatly appreciated if anyone could help advise on the inquiry below. 

I am currently trying to input multiple excel sheets into a single workbook. The existing workflow I have designed seems to be incorrect in structure and referencing the same output location too many times. I am not too savvy with dynamic inputs, batch macros or directory input tool. So any advice on this would be appreciated. 

Attached is a screenshot of what the workflow currently looks like.

Thank you

3 REPLIES 3
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @jyeung753,

Which error do you get? I'd guess that Alteryx tries to write to the same excel in multiple processes :

If that is the case you could just simply add "Block until done" Tools before the output tools.

FrederikE_0-1679493657910.png

gaoa
11 - Bolide

Hi @ebledsoe22 

You can use the Directory and Dynamic Input tool (look at sample workflow under Dynamic Input Example). 

gaoa_0-1679493321152.pnggaoa_1-1679493331345.png

Note: make sure the excel files are named in identical structure, for example,

FileName
CO Store File - North
CO Store File - South
CO Store File - West

Then use the "File Specification" below. Asterisk (*) stands for a "wildcard" that brings in multiple files with the same file name structure.

gaoa_3-1679493576740.png

Then you would want to configure the Dynamic Input tool like this:

gaoa_2-1679493385098.png

CWG0816
5 - Atom

Hello @jyeung753,

If your worksheet structure is exact between workbooks you can follow the directory to dynamic input method that Gaoa explained above. From there you need to set up your output tool accordingly... Do you want your inputs to be be converted to one worksheet in the output or multiple sheets in one workbook?

If you want one worksheet you can set up the output file as normal. 

If you want separate worksheets based on a field follow the image attached.  

I have found more common than not there are variations in the data within each workbook's worksheet that cause a dynamic input error. These are trickier to get around and require a batch macro to read the files. There are several good Community Macros available. I can assist and find those discussions/example workflows if you encounter a dynamic input error. 

Example.png

Labels