Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Input tool is not pulling the most updated information from database

fnew
5 - Atom

Currently, I have an app that shows a list of departments that the user can select.  It looks like new departments that were added to the table are NOT showing up on my list. The list seems to be cached somewhere but I need to pull the most updated values all the time from the table.  I'm using an Input tool to pull the values from a database table and then populate a List Box. 

fnew_3-1657845027370.png

fnew_0-1657844670390.png

Is there a configuration to run the select statement to pull the most recent values from the table everytime the App is triggered? 

fnew_4-1657845262778.png

I do have Run PreSQL on tool configuration checked.   I apologize if this was answered previously.  I searched on the community and couldn't find an answer. 

Thank you so much for your time. 

2 REPLIES 2
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

Because of the way Alteryx is loading the app, its creating the list using the loaded options from the last time you ran the workflow in designer. If you want to have the items update automatically, you have two options that I know of.

1. Change the list box to use an external source for its values. You point it to a file with NAME VALUE fields that have your items in it, but that would require you to keep the file updated. Probably not the solution you want since you are pulling from a DB and want it to be as automatic as possible.

SPetrie_0-1657858539600.png

2. Alter this to be a chained app. Basically you create two applications, one to load in your department list and save it to a yxdb and then have it call a second app to then load that yxdb as the list of options. This is probably best solution for you. The training video in the link has a good walkthrough of creating a chained app.

fnew
5 - Atom

Thank you so much for your quick response.  I've never built a chained app but I guess this would be my chance to do it.  I'll check out option #1 too. 

Labels