Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Input file - how to make my workflow detect beginning and end of table in excel?

rzz0419999
6 - Meteoroid

Hi all,

My workflow reads in a table from an Excel file on monthly basis (cell range is specified in the configuration), challenge that I am facing is that the range of table might change. New rows might be added.

For example, the first table is data for July, the second table will be for August (two new rows added). how do I set up my workflow so alteryx can detect the new beginning and end of table? Thanks!

column 1column 2column 3

apple

orange   

column 1column 2column 3
apple   

watermelon

orange   
6 REPLIES 6
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

Is there a way of knowing how many rows? That way you might be able to do it with a macro - but also why do you need to specify the range? Removing that constraint might make it easier and filtering/unselecting unwanted rows/columns. 

rzz0419999
6 - Meteoroid

thanks for the reply.

I need to specify the range because there are other tables in the same tab that I don't need to read in.

aatalai
14 - Magnetar

Ok in that case I would say bring in all the data and then filter out the unwanted data, if you can load up a data set with dummy data happy to mock something up to help you

rzz0419999
6 - Meteoroid

there's no way of knowing how many rows will there be each month, the report owner might add three rows this month, and two rows next month .

rzz0419999
6 - Meteoroid

thank you so much! let me try to mock something up.

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

@rzz0419999 wrote:

there's no way of knowing how many rows will there be each month, the report owner might add three rows this month, and two rows next month .

You don't need to know the number of rows. You only need to know what the data looks like at the last row you are looking to keep and the first row of the next table. You create logic that filters out all of the data below the last row. It could be a heading or change in the structure that indicates where the data ends. 

Labels