Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Inport Excel Data from Table

Andy
5 - Atom

Hi All,

I'm trying to import data from an excel file that is a table. The date comes in OK but the problem is that Headings in an Excel table are always Text format no matter what formatting you apply to it.

Some of the column headings are actually dates and I need these to be recognised as dates within Alteryx. But as it imports them as Text it doesn't.

So trying to use date filters does not work.

Any Ideas? I'm fresh out  ( or overthinking )

Thanks
Andy

5 REPLIES 5
Mathias_Nielsen
8 - Asteroid

Hi Andy,

You can use a transpose tool to make the headings into a single column. Do your filtering here as it can be made into a date data type and then use a Cross tab tool to put the data into its' original format. Hope this was helpful :)

Mathias_Nielsen
8 - Asteroid

Here is an example

Raj
16 - Nebula

@Andy 
One way of achieving this is dynamic rename tool
if you can add a sample data will help with a flow

hope this helps.

Andy
5 - Atom

Thanks guys,

Not sure if the screen shot below will help, but in it you can see what excel does to the headings on a table that automatically  saves it as text.
It doesn't matter what is written in the cell even if it says 2013-06-01 ( I have columns running to 2031-05-01 ) and formatted as a date it loads to Alteryx as 2003-06-01 text, and I can't seem to change it to a date, as I want to use filters to select a date range to see the results of a 12 month period for example.

Bren_Spill
12 - Quasar

@Andy - @Mathias_Nielsen has the right idea. After you transpose you can use either the DateTime tool or a date formula to convert the text to date format, then apply the date range filter before using cross tab to get the data back to original format. See attached @Mathias_Nielsen workflow with the date conversion added

Labels