Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Import tabbed excel from directory and load data that doesn't start on the first row

sc6981
6 - Meteoroid

Hi Team,

I have a few xls files in sharepoint which is my source. These are tab separated multiple excel files with valid records from row number 8.

Issue: The files are downloaded into a network directory and 1 tab needs to be read of 3 from record number 8. The file also contains too many records of which I need to filter records which has a specific column value = filename.

Eg: from the below table I need to load from RAG status row (which is column header) and client Account = filename (like Acelity)  

What I need is to have a directory input to read all files, apply some logic to get only 1 tab of 3 tabs from each excel file then read data from the RAG status (row 8) and then apply filter for client Account = filename. Can you please let me know what is the best solution? 

Describe any Account Level or Account Representative Needs:    
Red - Closed  

Amber - Open, but needs repairs 
Green - Open 
Property Count: 
2476 Property Tracker  
RAG StatusTracker Status (Open or Closed)Client AccountProperty TypePhysical Address
 OpenAcelityService Center2313 W Sam Houston Pkwy N
 OpenAcelityService Center5233 Ih 37

12 REPLIES 12
sc6981
6 - Meteoroid

Hi BarnesK,

Now on running the "Import multiple files.yxmd" there are no records in the output file.

1.png

I have one doubt about the macro: Update value and Input data has hardcoded value of Acelity Affected Harvey Locations.xslm however I have 2 files - one for Acelity and other for AFL-CIO Building. If I change the Input data to directory input in the macro then aging I get back the same warning with what I had started.

2017-09-21 15_50_23-Alteryx Designer x64 - Multiple Inputs.yxmc_.png

Kenda
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @sc6981. It is okay that within the macro, it uses the Acelity Affected Harvey Locations.xlsm file. This is just for when the macro is being created. When you use the .yxmd file, you are feeding in all of the file locations from the directory tool into the macro. Because it is a batch macro, it will run through each file one at a time. For example, if Acelity Affected Harvey Locations.xlsm is the first record coming out of the directory tool, it will be the first file that is ran through the macro, filtering on client account, and outputting any true values. It will then do the same for the second row that comes out of the directory input tool, until all records (in this case, files) are done. This way, even though you have multiple files, both will get filtered by their unique file name.

I looked at the names in the Client Account field and the reason you are not getting any records is because none of them match your file names exactly and that is what was being filtered on. In order for them to match, you must add a formula within the macro before the filter that gets rid of the 'Affected Harvey Locations' portion of the file name. The expression I used is as follows

left([FileName],FindString([FileName], " Affected"))

This will leave you with just 'Acelity' from the Acelity Affected Harvey Locations file name, which is the same thing that is in the Client Account field. Note, this assumes that all of your files have the same naming convention, which is [Client Account] + 'Affected...'. I reattached the .yxzp file for your convenience. 

sc6981
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you!!!!

Labels