Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to input nested zip files that does not contain similar formats?

novalcia
7 - Meteor

I have 3 zip files in a folder named "ZIP DATA". (I'm calling these 3 files "outer zips")

The 1st contains 1 xlsx file.

The 2nd contains 91 zip files, each containing 1 csv file.

The 3rd contains 64 zip files, each also containing 1 csv file.

The 2nd and 3rd ones are difficult to input into alteryx. I can't extract them all because their sizes are too big. This is what I've tried:

Method 1: trying to input them one by one

- use Input Data tool

- select the 2nd outer zip

- select the checkbox to select all the 91 inner zips

- in the 'Parse Other Files as' dropdown, select .csv

- click open

- add a Browse tool

Result 1:

When I run this workflow, it gives an error: "Error: Input Data (9): Error reading "Second_Outer_Data.zip": Too many fields in record #3"

Method 2: trying to input all 3 outer zips

- use Directory tool

- select the ZIP DATA folder as the directory

- in the File Specification field, write *.*

- select the checkbox for Include Subdirectories

- use Dynamic Input tool

- in the Input Data Source Template field, select the 2nd outer zip

- select the checkbox to select all the 91 inner zips

- in the 'Parse Other Files as' dropdown, select .csv

- click open

- in the Options window, select the checkbox for 'Allow Extraction of Files >2GB'

- change the Field Length from 254 to 25400000000

- click ok

- in the Field dropdown, select FullPath

- in the Action dropdown, select Change Entire File Path

- add a Browse tool

Result 2:

The Dynamic Input tool got an error: "Error: Dynamic Input (14): No file specified in zip archive: "computer path\ZIP DATA\First_Outer_Data.zip". Choose a file to read.

Idk what to do. I found someone linking this page, but it's archived and I can't see the contents. How do I input these nested zip files?

3 REPLIES 3
caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

For Result 1, what is the Delimiter you set? Have you tried \0? Change the size to 999999 too - see if that works.

Can you provide some images or data or even workflow to showcase your work thus far? 

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
novalcia
7 - Meteor

For Result 1, what is the Delimiter you set? Have you tried \0? Change the size to 999999 too - see if that works.

Hey, this (kind of?) works. It runs without error, but the resulting data is nonsense. I know the file is not corrupted though:

Screenshot 2023-11-10 163525.png

I haven't gotten very far in my workflow because I'm stuck in the input. This is the Method 2 workflow so far:

Screenshot 2023-11-10 163757.png

This is the settings for the Directory input tool: (sorry I can't show details)

Screenshot 2023-11-10 164224.png

This is the settings for the Dynamic Input tool:

Screenshot 2023-11-10 164840.png

This is the Options window when I select the Second_Outer_Zip for the Dynamic Input:

Screenshot 2023-11-10 165412.png

(I've tried using \0 as delimiter and 9999999 as the length, but it still gives an error)

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I've never done it as such a scale before. I've inputted zip files yes, but not a flurry of them - not to mention different schemas. You'll probably need a batch macro to do this - can you unzip one and then use a batch macro to unzip them all at one go, then union the data as is by name of field?

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Labels