Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

How to convert string to number?? example "-12 789,32"

ShravaniChanda
8 - Asteroid

Hello,

I am exporting the data from SAP and the balance are in this format "-12 389,32" or "-79 456,43" or "42 761,59". It contains spaces a thousands separator and comma for decimal separator. Whenever I choose the type int or double in select the output result would be in  -12 or -79 or 42. choosing float or fixed decimal would result in null. Can someone help in converting it to number. 

ShravaniChanda_0-1646326134102.png

5 REPLIES 5
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ShravaniChanda 

toNumber(ReplaceChar([Amount], ' ,.', ''))

binuacs_0-1646326465814.png

JosephSerpis
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @ShravaniChanda you need to replace the commas first then you can convert the field to a numeric without loss of data.

ShravaniChanda
8 - Asteroid

Hi @JosephSerpis 

Thanks for the prompt response, but the problem here is I want to output the data in the same format to an excel.

for example -  "-12 389,32" is in string first, then after conversation also it should be in the reman same as "-12 389,32" so that when i output that into excel the it will be populated as numeric field.  

ShravaniChanda
8 - Asteroid

Hey @binuacs ,

I appreciate your reply, but i want the output to look exactly same as the input but the datatype to be in numeric. I am updating this data to an excel template, where there are many calculated columns in excel depending on this output column. 

Please advice

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@ShravaniChanda I don't think the Alteryx string format (-12 389,32) can be outputted to excel as numeric. you need to pass the amount as numeric then format the excel to reflect according to your requirement

Labels