Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Remove Auto-Fills When Not Needed (Reverse Auto-fill)

PNau
7 - Meteor

I have a situation where I would like to remove repeating data (e.g., reverse of auto-fill down).  I have Sorted on Column A, B and C, with A for the Domestic Company and B for the Foreign Company with C the Amount.

Column A repeats until the Domestic Company name changes and repeats again throughout.  Column B never repeats.

I wrote the below formula but then realized it will only remove Company A one time.  I do not know how many times Column A will repeat but I could surmise based on the max number of Foreign Companies if needed.

IF [Row-1:Domestic Co Name]=[Domestic Co Name] THEN "" ELSE [Domestic Co Name] ENDIF

Any guidance or hints is appreciated.  This is more just for learning a reverse way to do something since the auto-fill down I now know how to complete.

Thank you.

4 REPLIES 4
ivoller
12 - Quasar

There are a lot of ways to approach this. How about using Summarize and Join? See attached.

2018-08-20_16-41-24.png

PNau
7 - Meteor

Much appreciated.  This is exactly what I need and easy to follow.

ivoller
12 - Quasar

Or just use a temporary field to get your original approach working. Add a select to rename / remove fields later.

2018-08-20_16-58-12.png

PNau
7 - Meteor

Even nicer.  Thank you both of these will help me approach solutions faster since working with familiar data formatting but in reverse.  I figured this would be a good way to learn. 

Labels