Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to Filter Data Based on Comma-separated Classes

hcho
8 - Asteroid

Hello Alteryx Community,**

I'm working on creating a macro that filters out data when they don't match one of the proposed classes.

Input

1. Data Table: This table contains the data that needs to be filtered. Here’s a snippet of the data table:

Id      Colour   Weight

apple1  red      5

apple2  yellow   4

apple3  green    6

apple4  blue     5

apple6           4

1. Limit Table: This table specifies the target field names, their corresponding valid classes (separated by commas), and an `EmptyOK` flag indicating whether empty values are also considered valid.

Field   Type    Classes             EmptyOK

Colour  Class   Red,Yellow,Green    True

Output

1. Invalid Class Table: This is the expected output, showing rows filtered out based on the example inputs.

Id      Colour   Weight

apple4  blue     5

I've started working on the workflow, and the files are attached as the two inputs mentioned above. I would appreciate any suggestions or guidance on how to refine this macro.

Thank you!

5 REPLIES 5
griffinwelsh
12 - Quasar

@hcho take a look at the attached standard macro. Let me know if you have any questions. Please mark the post solved if this fits your use case.

Raj
16 - Nebula

@hcho 
some basic question over here does your limited table have same values every time?
if yes then you almost have created the macro
just convert your input to macro input and add macro-output to "L" anchor

Hope this helps.

hcho
8 - Asteroid

I realize I may not have explained my question clearly. The output from the J anchor in the Join tool provides the valid data, but what I need is the invalid data. So, I'm specifically interested in the output from the L anchor, which should filter out empty values. However, I've noticed that since the left table entries failed to join, they don’t have the EmptyOK information included. Is there a way to retain the EmptyOK value even after a join?

griffinwelsh
12 - Quasar

@hcho Tried to upload this earlier but it did not work. Take a look at this macro.

hcho
8 - Asteroid

That's perfect. Thank you, @griffinwelsh!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels