Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Grouping Data into separate reports

Skapoor1
7 - Meteor

Hi Everyone 

I am trying to produce separate reports from an input data in the sample format as attached. The challenge i am facing is trying to group the report into separate excel reports based on a field(let's call that business unit) in the sample data.

The outputs would be the same name as the business unit and in the same format .  The challenge lies in producing formatted outputs , the table beginning in a specified cell range . The sample data is the raw input and the 8100H and 8400A are the expected output files. 

I have been browsing the community for solutions but no luck so far, can anyone provide some guidance.

5 REPLIES 5
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Skapoor1,

I have prepared a workflow for you:

Emil_Kos_0-1607420087430.png

The output:

Emil_Kos_1-1607420110896.png

I am assuming this part:

Emil_Kos_2-1607420141287.png

is some kind of template that you will use and Alteryx will not fill that part. 

If that is a case I think you need to append to existing worksheet instead of creating a new excel:

Emil_Kos_3-1607420194001.png

In order to make it work. I needed to create a path where the file will be saved:

'\\lcwfsv5\users\e669756\Desktop\Exemple\'+
[Business Unit]+'.xlsx|||Sheet1$C6:G11111'

\\lcwfsv5\users\e669756\Desktop\Exemple\' - this part should be replaced with your destination part

Sheet1$C6:G11111' - this part represent the sheet + excel range

I hope I didn't forgot about anything 🙂 

Please mark my post as a solution if this was helpful for you!

Skapoor1
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your response @Emil_Kos . I have been able to achieve this but I am also trying to preserve the formatting. I mean the numbers should be in numbers format not string. Since the real dataset would have 30-40 business unit. It would produce 30-40 files. Is there any way I can format the numbers as well or produce a formatted version of the output in excel. I have tried using table tool to format the data but I have not been able to produce the output in separate excel files. 

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi,

If you will format them as numbers before saving the files you will have them in the number format. If you will use data cleansing tool in order to clean the puncation you should be able to change the data to double format. 

That doesn't work for you? 

If the issue is regarding the header you can create a separate workflow that will create you clean inputs files like this using the same logic as I have done. 

Emil_Kos_0-1607425124232.png

Afterwards you would need to append the data using the workflow that I have shared with your earlier. 

It isn't straight forward a solution so please let me know if this was helpful. 

Skapoor1
7 - Meteor

Hi @Emil_Kos 

Is there any way i can format this data in table tool  and then produce this as different files . I understand when we use table tool it has to be accompained by other report tools. I have some formatting requirements .Afterwards i would also need to append the data in the top left corner in all the files.

Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Skapoor1,

I am not sure how to easily achieve this and I think it is quite complicated tasks. What do you have on mind saying formatting options?

Those requirements can be handled with using a template? 

Labels