Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Generate a Barcode

raychase
11 - Bolide

Hello,

Has anyone had success generating barcodes using Alteryx? The obvious way was thought to be using custom fonts to convert strings to barcodes; however, custom fonts don't seem to be supported within the render tool, so it becomes near impossible to include them as snippets within more complex reports.

I would imagine it's possible with external Python libraries, but that seems a bit much for such a simple task. I suppose there's also APIs that offer the same functionality, but again, a bit overkill.

Any other ideas? Has anyone had any luck getting Alteryx (specifically the render tool) to honor custom fonts? 

6 REPLIES 6
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @raychase 

So, the font method is out, and I figured anything reliable would have to use images of the barcode and I was actually able to get that to work using a website that generates the image for you.

https://barcode.tec-it.com/en/?data=ABC-abc-1234 

The website above allow you to submit a string in the URL ("ABC-abc-1234" is the default value) and it will generate a barcode image for you. If you click on the image settings, I changed the image type to JPG and the website said this URL could be used to reference that image. (FYI:The default type on the website was GIF, which isn't supported by the Image tool)

https://barcode.tec-it.com/barcode.ashx?data=ABC-abc-1234&code=&multiplebarcodes=false&translate-esc=true&unit=Fit&dpi=96&imagetype=Jpg&rotation=0&color=%23000000&bgcolor=%23ffffff&codepage=Default&qunit=Mm&quiet=0

Again, the important part is the "data=" then the wrapper doesn't change. So I was able to take a random string like "Alteryx2021", add the rest of the above string and send that URL to the Download tool in Designer. I changed the Download tool to output a blob field, which the Image tool can then use for Reporting. Now you have the barcode image you can use in the rendered output for your choice.

20210309-Barcodes1.JPG

Check out the attached workflow and let me know if that works for you.

EDIT: Per the statement on the website: 
"You may use this barcode generator as part of your non-commercial web-application or web-site to create dynamic barcodes with your own data. In return, we ask you to implement a back-link with the text "TEC-IT Barcode Generator" on your web-site. Back-linking to www.tec-it.com is highly appreciated, the use of TEC-IT logos is optional.

Please contact us for commercial or bulk use."

So I edited my workflow to show how a Text tool can be used to include their link as requested. 

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@CharlieS 

Very nice one. Learned something new.

raychase
11 - Bolide

@CharlieS Thanks for the post.  I liken this to the API approach I alluded to in my original post.  Unfortunately, the Alteryx Server environment that will host this particular app does not have external web connectivity, thus it is also a no-go.  I do appreciate the detailed response - it's exactly how I would have taken the API approach as well.

I've submitted a support ticket asking why custom fonts aren't supported by the Render tool.  It sounds like they've raised an internal defect that will hopefully be tackled at some point.

naresh11
5 - Atom

Hi.  

Thank you for sharing this information, about using barcodes in Alteryx this information is very nice and useful for all business. Thank you sharing this blog  

I have seen same kind of information and it will help to you 

Salesforce Service Cloud Training

MRod
8 - Asteroid

You can use the Barcode Tool to generate barcodes from text data or read barcodes from an image. This tool is part of Alteryx Intelligence Suite. Intelligence Suite requires a separate license and add-on installer to Designer. 

ArtApa
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi @raychase - Here is an example:

ArtApa_0-1685855104576.png

Labels