Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Formatting output for Excel

DKMI
7 - Meteor

I am concatonating fields within Alteryx (I need one row per record for the purposes of a downstream mail merge) so my output looks a bit like this:

'Elephant, Monkey, Shrew'

When I output to Excel it reads, correctly, 'Elephant, Monkey, Shrew' in a single cell.

As I am using this in a mail merge, I want it to show as:

Elephant

Monkey

Shrew

In a single cell (ie, the same effect I would get if typing it in excel pressing alt+enter after each word), as this will allow me to simply put the field into word and have it formatted as a list.

Is there a way in Alteryx I can output in this format to an excel cell whilst maintaining a single row?

2 REPLIES 2
ChrisTX
16 - Nebula

@DKMI in the attached workflow, the formula

Replace([F2], ", ", "
")

has a newline specified as the replacement character.   A trick I've seen a few people use.

But in Excel it will display as:

F1F2
My single rowElephantMonkeyShrew

Until you set the cell or column to "Wrap Text".

Then it will display as:

F1F2
My single rowElephant
Monkey
Shrew

You could use a Run Command tool to call a Powershell script, to set Wrap Text within the Excel file.

Here's a related Idea, if you'd care to add a Like: 

Enhance options for Excel output

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Ideas/Enhance-options-for-Excel-output/idi-p/84326...

Chris

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @DKMI 

I found a very old post on the community with a similar problem, so here are two options for you:

You have the fields in separate columns prior to concatenating - a very simple formula that places a carriage return after each field

DavidSkaife_0-1679569107609.png

While the output in Excel looks wrong, when you click into the cell its displayed correctly

DavidSkaife_1-1679569152235.png

The second option is if you already have the fields concatenated:

DavidSkaife_2-1679569184352.png

Again the output looks wrong in Excel, but is right when you click in the cell:

DavidSkaife_3-1679569218264.png

Hope this works for you!

I've attached the workflow for you to look at

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels