Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Force user confirmation in macro?

TH
8 - Asteroid

I'm building a macro (or several macros) intended for use by a wide audience that would perform some simple windows shell commands without interrupting the workflow.

For the "Delete" command I'd like to implement a confirmation of some kind that would force the user to confirm at (or even during) runtime whether the particular file (or files, in the case of a wildcard) should be deleted.

I don't want the user to be able to put something into the input for the macro to make it automatically accept the delete action before anything is run. I want the confirmation to happen either when the user kicks off the workflow or the workflow gets to the macro.

Does a way exist to do this without creating an Alteryx app?

4 REPLIES 4
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

As far as I am aware you can't block access to a macro. I am aware you can password protect and limit access via an analytical app though

Raj
16 - Nebula

@TH Try Using the interface designer tools to create a simple interface with a Yes/No question asking for confirmation before deletion. You can add a Text Input tool with a single field for the confirmation message and a Drop Down tool with Yes/No options.

TH
8 - Asteroid

Aatalai,

Thank you for your input. I won't plan to pursue this avenue then.

Raj,

I appreciate your answer. As I said in my initial post, I am trying very hard NOT to create an app. I want this to be a macro that others can use into their workflows.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

The question is if a powershell script in a macro will wait for a prompt - my hunch is no - and in my testing I'm seeing - 

Run Command (1) The external program "powershell.bat" returned an error code: 1

when prompting for an input in a powershell script when run via a .bat file.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels