Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Extracting Date from Filename

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Guys,

I have this formula "DateTimeParse(REGEX_Replace([FileName], '[^\d{8}]', ''),'%Y%m%d')" but it is not working in this filename >>>>  LLB.Pest.Daily_08.10.23_FINAL.xlsx. It gaves me "Null". Can someone please help me how to extract the date with same date format? Please do also explain the formula you will be providing so for me to understand it.

Thanks,

Kamen

3 REPLIES 3
Prometheus
12 - Quasar

I like to use www.regex101.com to test. Check it out. It helps me a lot.

I started out the workflow with the RegEx tool configured to Parse out a single field with the default name of RegExOut1. I used the expression .*\_(\d{2}\.\d{2}\.\d{2}).* because your filename has two digits for year, two digits for month, and two digits for day. The only thing that gets parsed is what's inside the parentheses. After that, I dropped in a DateTime parse tool to turn the date format of mm.dd.yy into an actual date. I finished with a Select tool to manually change the data type from DateTime, which is the default out of the DateTime parse tool, to Date.

Extracting Date from FileName.PNGRegex config.PNGDateTime parse config.PNGSelect config1.PNGExtraction Output.PNG

Rana_Kareem
9 - Comet

Hi @KamenRider ..

Just modify the format In DateTimeParse Function, so it matches the incoming date format from the File Name.

After extracting the Date from the File Name with (REGEX_Replace) Function it will be something like this (081023)

So, the correct format for this:  %m%d%y

Therefore, you have to modify the formula to be:

DateTimeParse(REGEX_Replace([FileName], '[^\d{8}]', ''),'%m%d%y')

Hope that's clear..

You can find more about DateTime Functions Here

KamenRider
11 - Bolide

Thank you for your expertise. I will try to learn this one as this is always my challenges.

Kamen

Labels