Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Email handling / suggestion

NicholasWoods
5 - Atom

I have a two-step process. One application and one workflow. On the application it asks the end user to upload three excel files and then run the application. Within the application I am using multiple joins, data cleansing, filters, selects, etc. Then after I have the data formatted in a certain way I am using the formula tool to create a excel file using the name of a column of data. Example I have 20 different values from the name column. I am using the output data tool to take the file/table name from the field and change the entire file path to create a new excel file. Now I have 20 different excel files with their unique names located in a folder on my network.

The workflow is super basic. It takes the output excel file -> summarize tool -> report text tool (to display the last date this application has running) -> and then finally the email tool.

NicholasWoods_0-1617739366922.png

My issue is that I currently have 40 of these connects above. 20 unique name files with special data and 20 unique excel files without special data. Having multiple (2000+) emails address is my main issue. Is there a way to make sending out emails to end users easier? I was thinking maybe creating a excel file “email mailing list” with column A be the end user email address and then column B would location the unique excel file. The reason behind doing this is if I ever needed to add someone I could simply open the “Email mailing list” and add the end user instead of looking around my workflow to find the unique connection and then manually adding them. Any thoughts or suggestions into how to make this workflow process operate smoothly? Maybe a special type of macro. I have only been working with Alteryx for about a month now.

Thank you,

3 REPLIES 3
Shalz
8 - Asteroid

You can import your email address as text file or any input file and meanwhile create a column for attachments and then send the email picking to address from your appended fields.

Make sure you have unique email address which can have multiple attachments

NicholasWoods
5 - Atom

Shalz -

Thank you. I created a excel input file using your suggestion below and it works. My next question: I would like to create a timestamp with the date that the workflow was completed on - I would like this timestamp to either be located in the subject hander of the email or the body of the email? lets say I created a new column in the excel file an use the formula "=Today()" Can I display this information in either the subject or body of the email? Or is there a easier / better way to display the date to the end user that has received the email? 

NicholasWoods
5 - Atom

I used the formula tool. DateTimeToday() function. which gave me my answer

Labels