Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamically subtract two columns.

Alteryxexpert
8 - Asteroid

I have two data like below

Dataset1:

CurrencyQuarterValue
USDQ1 2470
JPYQ1 2433
INR

Q1 24

EURQ1 2465

Dataset2:

CurrencyQuarterValue
USDQ1 2370
JPYQ1 2333
INR

Q1 23

EURQ1 2365

The data will be dynamic here, Quarter will get changed to Q2 24 & Q2 23 Dynamically.

I want the ouput as like below,

CurrencyQ1 23Q1 24Diff
USD6070-10
JPY2233-11
INR5066-16
EUR4565-20
6 REPLIES 6
DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @Alteryxexpert, how do you get on with this? We:

1) Transpose the data to get the values in a single column - this will also happen in field order

2) Use a Multi-Row Formula to take away the first value from the second

3) Sum the [Diff], grouped by [Currency]

4) Join this back to the original data to add the new field

DynamicCurrencyDiff.png

Alteryxexpert
8 - Asteroid
I have edited the post with changed requirement.
DataNath
17 - Castor

Ok, just add a couple of Cross-Tabs to get the initial shape & join.

Alteryxexpert
8 - Asteroid
Problem here is I wont get all currencies in dataset 1 available always in dataset 2. Consider Data set 1 having 4 currencies and dataset 2 has 3 currencies and I need to achieve this, how to do.
DataNath
17 - Castor

Can you please provide an actual sample of what your data looks like/could look like? Instead of the back & forth on limited information? If that's the last possible issue then you can just join on Currency initially & conduct a Union.

TUSHAR050392
9 - Comet

Hey @Alteryxexpert Alternate approach which will account for any missing data in dataset 2-

1.Use cross tab to convert both of your data. Select Group by the currency, Change column headers to Quarter and Values header to the Value and select sum as aggregate method.

2. Join the two datasets on currency followed by a union tool in which you will insert the left and join stream of join tool as this will create a left join to cater any values in dataset 1 that are not in dataset 2.

3. Then you will use a formula tool to create the difference column which will simply be subtraction of your two value columns. You will also have to use data cleansing before formula to convert Null to 0.

Hope this helps

Labels