Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamically fetch the conditions to a IF ELSE condition statement

Debapriya
5 - Atom

I have an input data with the columns: (Data1) (file name: data set)

Serial No.agework classSalary PAeducationmarital-statusoccupationgenderhours-per-weeknative-country

I have separate data sheet for the conditions to be applied on the above data: (Data2) (filename : Rules)

Rule Serial Noage lower limitage upper limitSalary Lower LimitSalary Upper LimitGenderClass

Problem:

The Age, Salary PA & Gender (Data1) are the focus columns on which the data need be segregated and the Class(data2) would be appended to the Data1 as a new column.

The Conditions data (Data2) needs to be fed dynamically to the IF ELSE statements, since the conditions change periodically. (can't be hardcoded)

Conditions need to be compared with a FOR Loop, and the CLASS value to be set/defined for each row of the Data1.

Example:

The final data should give an output as: 

agework classSalary PAeducationmarital-statusoccupationgenderhours-per-weeknative-country

Class (from Data2)

Below i have written a code in a made-up language. treat this as  a logic:

• For Each [Serial No]
    • For Each [Rule Serial No]
      • If [Data1.Gender] = [Data2.Gender] and [Age] <=  [age upper limit] and [Age] >=  [age lower limit]
        • and [Salary PA] <= [Salary Lower Limit] and [Salary PA] >= [Salary Upper Limit]  
        • then [Class]
      • Else
        • "Error"
      • Endif

Can this be automated in Alteryx? refer attachments for Data.

2 REPLIES 2
Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

Hi @Debapriya,

if you want to do this in Alteryx, you will not need an iterative macro to do so. In your case, you can use a 2 steps method to do so :

1. Append your rules to your main dataset with the Append Tool
    1. it will allow you to multiply each line by all the rules you have
  2. Use a custom filter in which you do something like the formula bellow:
    1. [Data1.Gender] = [Data2.Gender] and [Age] <=  [age upper limit] and [Age] >=  [age lower limit] and [Salary PA] <= [Salary Lower Limit] and [Salary PA] >= [Salary Upper Limit] 
    2. this will filter to only take the data in your ranges.

Tell me if it's not clear,

Arthur

Debapriya
5 - Atom

Thank you so much.

Labels