Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic ordering of Source System Data

Nosal25
8 - Asteroid

We have a system that stores a CLOD-like field in 40 character blocks, with a corresponding entry number indicating the strings place in the sequence.  Is there a way to set up a workflow to dynamically reconstruct these blocks into the original input? I have a minimum entry number of 1 and a maximum of 4738.  Also, is there a way to have it stop at a max entry number and set an flag to indicate there is more data?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

3 REPLIES 3
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Nosal25

There is a very cute way to do this in Alteryx using the summarize tool - summarize can group by a field, and then for text fields it can concatenate.    For your second question question - yes, you can use a filter to filter out items greater than the max, and if you find anything on this output then use a formula tool to turn it into a flag.

So if you had the following data:

ClientIDText1
1aaa
1bbb
2ccc

Then you can pump it through a summarize tool, set to group by ClientID; and to concatenate Text 1, and your output will be:

ClientIDConcat_Text1
1aaabbb
2ccc

Happy to mock this up if you have some test data with a mocked up output that you are looking for? 

Hopefully these hits get you going in the right direction :-)

Happy Thursday

Sean

Nosal25
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Sean.

I will test that now.  Sample data is below...

RSNTEXTENT_NUM
0001The joys of working on a syst01
0001em older that I am. There was02
0001a reason why I didn't study Cobol i03
0001n college. Getting 30 year old dat04
0001a for a Unisys mainframe.05
0002Next Record01
0002Next Record 202
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

workflow attached with your test data.

:-) I had a good smile at your text, counting characters in a file to decode Cobol - very very glad that this is not how we write software now-days!

Labels