Alert: There is a planned Community maintenance outage October 16th from approximately 10 - 11 PM PST. During this time the Alteryx Community will be inaccessible. Thank you for your understanding!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Dynamic ordering of Source System Data

Nosal25
8 - Asteroid

We have a system that stores a CLOD-like field in 40 character blocks, with a corresponding entry number indicating the strings place in the sequence.  Is there a way to set up a workflow to dynamically reconstruct these blocks into the original input? I have a minimum entry number of 1 and a maximum of 4738.  Also, is there a way to have it stop at a max entry number and set an flag to indicate there is more data?

Thank you in advance for your assistance. 

3 REPLIES 3
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hey @Nosal25

There is a very cute way to do this in Alteryx using the summarize tool - summarize can group by a field, and then for text fields it can concatenate.    For your second question question - yes, you can use a filter to filter out items greater than the max, and if you find anything on this output then use a formula tool to turn it into a flag.

So if you had the following data:

ClientIDText1
1aaa
1bbb
2ccc

Then you can pump it through a summarize tool, set to group by ClientID; and to concatenate Text 1, and your output will be:

ClientIDConcat_Text1
1aaabbb
2ccc

Happy to mock this up if you have some test data with a mocked up output that you are looking for? 

Hopefully these hits get you going in the right direction :-)

Happy Thursday

Sean

Nosal25
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Sean.

I will test that now.  Sample data is below...

RSNTEXTENT_NUM
0001The joys of working on a syst01
0001em older that I am. There was02
0001a reason why I didn't study Cobol i03
0001n college. Getting 30 year old dat04
0001a for a Unisys mainframe.05
0002Next Record01
0002Next Record 202
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

workflow attached with your test data.

:-) I had a good smile at your text, counting characters in a file to decode Cobol - very very glad that this is not how we write software now-days!

Labels