Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Input tool and Data Cleansing tool issue

azakharyan
5 - Atom

Can someone please help me figure out a workaround solution to the following problem. 

I am currently getting an error in one of the containers of the overall larger flow. The container contains the following tools

Dynamic Input > Formula Tool > Select Tool > Data Cleansing Tool > Output Data. 

This Flow has been running well until the most recent run where I received the following error (Error: Data Cleansing (1131): Tool #129: The input "#2" was not initialized.)

After further analysis, it appears that the issue here is as follows. 

1. The Dynamic Input tool has data flowing in from elsewhere in the flow.
  2. The Dynamic Input tool contains two "Replace a Specific String" and one "Pass a field to the output" parameters. 
  3. The incoming data to the dynamic input tool for the first time is coming in with no values. In other words, we have all the field names, but there were no results therefore we have no values. 

What I think is the issue, is that the input to the Dynamic input tool has Field Names but not values and the output has nothing at all. In other words no field names either. Simply blank. I believe it is exactly because of the no values output that the Data Cleansing tool is showing an error. Essentially its trying to cleans data which does not exist. 

When I remove the data cleansing tool, the flow runs without any error, however we do need the data cleansing tool to stay in place due to the specific field which we are removing leading and trailing whitespaces and we are using the "Replace with Blanks (string Fields)" and Replace with 0 (Numeric Fields) when we do actually have data flowing through. 

Can someone please help with a workaround. 

4 REPLIES 4
Luke_C
17 - Castor

Instead of a data cleanse you could use a multi-field formula with the TRIM() function to remove leading and trailing spaces on the fields

azakharyan
5 - Atom

I forgot to mention that we are also using the "Replace with Blanks (string Fields)" and "Replace with 0 (Numeric Fields)" functions in the Data Cleansing Tool 

JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide
JarekSkudrzyk
11 - Bolide

@azakharyan both "Replace with Blanks (string Fields)" and "Replace with 0 (Numeric Fields)" can be replaced with formulas as @Luke_C suggested

Labels