Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Dynamic Field/Column to Filter

PassION_es
10 - Fireball

Hello Alteryx Community,

I have here a case wherein the filter column changes, like if today, the alteryx can filter in column 1 any selection (multiple selection) and then next couple days or month, he will filter column 2 with the same or different selections. Question is, can this be possible using Analytic app? I only know that the data in each column can be changed with the use of List box tool. However, I do not know how to change the field column (From selecting the column 1, now to column 2).

Appreciate if you can give me sample workflow. Thank you in advance.

Attached also is the file containing the input tab and the filter field and results.

6 REPLIES 6
aatalai
14 - Magnetar

You can use a dynamic rename to rename unknown columns into a specific name and filter on the rename field, would that work?

PassION_es
10 - Fireball

@aatalai can you provide a sample workflow so I can understand how it works? Thank you.

Qiu
21 - Polaris
21 - Polaris
PassION_es
10 - Fireball

Hi @Qiu, It looks like a chained app however the field name or column name in one chain or in two chain will be dynamic also.

aatalai
14 - Magnetar

@PassION_es see if does the trick went for ananlytical app in the end

PassION_es
10 - Fireball

Hi @aatalai,

Thank you. I tried the analytic apps and its good, however it will not be efficient on the part of the user if he will need to select each list boxes for the 7 different reports.  My normal workflows have a lot of filter tools (like around 4 or 5) but since the fiter fields and multiple selections changes from time to time,  now I am planning to maintain an input file (mapping) containing only the needed data to be output from 7 different reports, and maybe join tool is needed to match the raw data against that file containing the needed filters.  However, I have yet to picture how the mapping file looks like.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels