Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Download tool with wildcard

Sohdaw
8 - Asteroid

Hi i need to download data from this URL which has csv files posted 2x a day. The files post in this format https://<link>Cash_Report/SystemCashAccountBalance-YYYYMMDD-6digitnumber.csv

The issue is that i dont know what 6 digit number is. 

I have a formula to generate the date YYYYMMDD.

How can i configure my formula tool prior to the download data tool to have a wildcard/ignore the 6 digit number and always just return the latest file for that date? 

3 REPLIES 3
grazitti_sapna
17 - Castor

Hi @Sohdaw , You can use regex for that. Here are few examples to use regex to match filename, for digits you can use \d{6} 

Sapna Gupta
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Sohdaw 

How do you know the link to download the file manually?

DavidSkaife
13 - Pulsar

Hi @Sohdaw 

I think wildcards will not work in the Download tool, as it will explicitly look for the * as part of the name.

Ideally you should identify the latest file, or try to obtain the list of files in the first instance, and feed in the latest to the Download tool - what is the URL and is there any guidance on using it?

There is an option of brute forcing it, by generating every possible 6 digit combination and feeding each to the Download tool until one returns the file but this could be very dangerous though, so i'd probably avoid it.

If you could provide more info on the URL etc we should be able to assist further?

Labels