Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Don't email an empty report table

jasonlmay
5 - Atom

I have a workflow that ends a filter tool to check a condition then create a table via the table tool and then an email tool that emails the table.

In most cases this table should be empty but the email tool still sends the email with an empty table.  The table has headers but no rows.

Is it possible to adjust configuration so that if the table is empty that the email tool will not send an email?  

Alteryx Table and Email Tools.jpg

4 REPLIES 4
atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @jasonlmay 

The trick here is to also pass Email tool To field has a column. If table is empty the To Field is empty hence email doesn't get sent 🙂

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @jasonlmay 

Here is how you can do it.

Workflow:

atcodedog05_0-1625725552313.png

1. Using the formula tool I am setting To field. 

2. In table tool I am setting groupby on To field so that it comes out as a column.

3. In email tool passing the To field from column.

Here are 2 scenario

1. No table data: To field also is absent

2. With table data: To field is present

Hope this helps 🙂

jasonlmay
5 - Atom

I think this solution will work.  The weird part is yesterday after initially creating the workflow and testing I would get empty reports.  Today running it again the first time I received an empty report but with no changes to the workflow, after running it 3 more times, I didn't receive any reports. 

So strange, but I think I'll still put this solution in place just in case.  Thanks.

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Happy to help 🙂 @jasonlmay 

Labels