Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Does Alteryx Designer require local account with admin privilege to connect with database?

hisyam10
7 - Meteor

Hello All,

I have an Alteryx Designer on a physical server running Windows 10 Enterprise.
The problem is when I am using a local account with administrator privilege, my Alteryx can connect to external database server (SQL Server) using Connect In-DB Tool but when I switch to an Active Directory account with admin privilege (same privilege as the local account) it suddenly could not connect with error displaying login failed for user 'user1'.

I checked ODBC connection all are fine. I also imported connection XML file settings from the local account to the active directory account but still unable to connect to SQL DB. My scheduled workflows also unable to run/schedule although the workflow using local file connection such as CSV, Excel.

Appreciate any help with this and thanks in advance.

Regards,
Hisyam

6 REPLIES 6
apathetichell
19 - Altair

share screen shots of your odbc64 config. is your connection set up in user or system. Share the config photo there - and black out whatever you need to. Next share your In-DB configuration. 

Hypothesis - something here is out of sync. It's probably easier to have this set up as a system - not as a user connection. I don't use SQL Server on a regular basis or Entra Id/Active Directory - but I'd look at the ODBC set up first.

hisyam10
7 - Meteor

Hi @apathetichell , thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.

Attached the ODBC Connection and Alteryx In DB Configuration for your reference.
Fyi, the Active Directory account was created from our company's main directory meanwhile the local account with admin privilege was created inside the Alteryx Server environment itself.

The peculiar thing is that my Alteryx can connect with both DB Server name starting with 'DAS' meanwhile it can't connect for the other 2.
The ODB Connection is under System DSN meanwhile the Alteryx In-DB setup configuration is under User.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

Hey - just to confirm - this is on Designer/on a single machine vs on Server? Are you using DCM from Server to create the sync the connection in the local machine?

I don't use SQL Server so some of this seems more specific to it - but local machine/local user/local odbc64/local in-db should (and I believe does) work in your case.

server machine/server setup/system odbc/in-db would require admin. 

there is no reason why local machine/local user/local odbc64/DCM in-db should require admin - but it should require a local set up of the In-DB connection. 

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Does SQL Server Native Client 11 work with AD? Have you tried the ODBC driver 18?

hisyam10
7 - Meteor

Hi @apathetichell,

apologies for the delayed response as I overlooked this post. This Alteryx Designer resides in an on-premise local server but the OS is running windows 10 Enterprise, not Windows Server.

I have never use any DCM. This Designer was initially installed on 2019 version. Late last year Iupgraded the Designer to versio 2023.1 but I also never use DCM.

apathetichell
19 - Altair

If you are running windows 10 enterprise - and you are running deisgner - you shouldn't need to be running the admin version.

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels