Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Decision Tree output doesn't show Variable importance plot

Fran
5 - Atom

Hi.  I can't see within the Decision Tree browse (O, R, I) the Variable importance plot. Can you help me to  fix it?

Thanks

7 REPLIES 7
CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

In your screenshot, you see the tool is operating as "RPart Decision-Tree Classification". I think this plot is only produced when the model type is "Regression" (Customize > Model Type and Sampling Weights > Regression).  

DecisionTreeRegression.png

From the tool documentation:

• If the target field is a member of a category set, a classification tree is constructed.
  • If the target field is a continuous variable, a regression tree is constructed.

https://help.alteryx.com/2018.3/rpart.htm

My test found the Variable Important plot in I output > Variable Importance.

Fran
5 - Atom

Hi Charlie. Thank you for your clear explanation. Unhappily, your suggestion didn't work. I tried the 3 options: Auto, Classification, and Regression, none of the options showed up the Variable importance plot. It might be an Alteryx bug. 

Thanks again

Fran
5 - Atom

Hi Charlie. Thank you for your clear explanation. Unhappily, your suggestion didn't work. I tried the 3 options: Auto, Classification, and Regression, none of the options showed up the Variable importance plot. It might be a Alteryx bug. 

Thanks again

CharlieS
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Could you provide a sample of your data to test with?

JohnE1
5 - Atom

I think i found out how to fix the problem - it is a Tool version issue. Do the following:

• Add the Decision Tree Tool to the canvass
  • Right click on it
  • Select "Choose Tool Version"
  • You will see three options - select the second option (i.e. Decision Tree 1.0)

I ran into the same issue and it consumed a lot of time looking for solutions.  I hope that helps

kittymilburn
5 - Atom

Thank you so much - my output looked completely different and this fixed it. Lifesaver! Thank you so much. 

TimothyL
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Fran @kittymilburn ,

Thank for your supports. To empower users interpreting and explaining their predictive model,  we recently published a new set of model explanation macros: LIME & SHAP in this post.

It supports Decision Tree and other predictive tools like Random Forest, SVM, etc. Give a try and see if it could help you!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels