Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Create Formula (if caluse) using values from different source

sbatra116
8 - Asteroid

Create IF condition using the below 2 columns (column 1 and column 3). 

condition: (Age_Business_Days > 0)

sbatra116_0-1653953596426.png

then use this condition to filter data.

thank you

10 REPLIES 10
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sbatra116!

Will you please provide more details or a sample of your data?

A formula like this might work in the Filter tool, depending on the structure of your data:

[AgeCondition] > 0

Capture.JPG

DataNath
17 - Castor

Can't really tell too much about the requirement because of the lack of detail in your post. However, if this condition has a need to change dynamically then you may want to explore the dynamic replace tool. I've attached a small sample workflow and you would simply add a filter afterwards to remove nulls:

DataNath_0-1653955488581.png

sbatra116
8 - Asteroid

My bad. I should have written more detail.  @DataNath   @ddiesel

Update ---

Spreadsheet data 

IDNameAge_Business_Days
1Test110
2Test20
3Test33

Now the condition are stored in a different source (can be spreadsheet or db table)

column1column2column3
Age_Business_Daystestdata>0

In order to filter the spreadsheet data ; i'll be creating condition run time using column 1 and column 3 from the second table.

condition: (Age_Business_Days > 0)

if the second source gets updated, my condition should automatically update in the workflow depending upon the columns mentioned in second table.

binuacs
21 - Polaris

@sbatra116 One way of doing this with the help of dynamic replace tool

binuacs_0-1653977407367.png

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @sbatra116!

Let's give this a try...

Capture.JPG

Is the operator in the condition always "greater than"? If there are other operators such as "less than" or "equal", we will need to add a bit more logic. 

Please let us know if this works.

Thanks,
Deb

ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

@sbatra116 

P.S. Just saw @binuacs solution... very slick! I did not think to use the Dynamic Replace tool. 

sbatra116
8 - Asteroid

I like the approach here but how to handle once the condition changes (it can be either equal, greater or less than)

@ddiesel

sbatra116
8 - Asteroid

Hi  binuacs

Like the way you used the dynamic replace tool. But i'm not getting the result i want. 

Spreadsheet data 

IDNameAge_Business_Days
1Test110
2Test20
3Test33

condition

column1column3
Age_Business_Days>0

result should be 

IDNameAge_Business_Days
1Test110
3Test33
ddiesel
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi again @sbatra116!

I still think @binuacs solution is more efficient, but here is how I would modify the logic in the workflow I provided.

Instead of cleansing the operator from the condition, both operator and value are joined to your data. A nested conditional statement in the filter tool is setup to handle the three different expected operators: > = <

Capture.JPG

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels