Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Converting like columns with different data

Rob48
8 - Asteroid

I have two sets of data I'm working with.  Set #1 is as below, a "data" column with thousands of rows and multiple columns with one of 3 values, "yes," "no" or "-" as below:

Datacolumn 1column 2column 3column 4column 5column 6column 7column 8column 9column 10
aaa1yesnononononononono-
aaa2yes-yesyesyesnoyesyesnono
aaa3no----no--nono
aaa4-nonononoyesnonoyesno
aaa5-yesyesyesno-yesno-yes
aaa6no----no--noyes
aaa7nononono-yesno-yes-
aaa8yesyesnonono-nono-no
aaa9--nonoyesnonoyesnoyes
aaa10nonoyesyes-noyes-nono
aaa11yesno-yesnonoyesnono-

Set #2 is a simple key which will have the same column names and similar values as set#1 but with an added suffix after the yes/no value that will vary:

column 1column 2column 3column 4column 5column 6column 7column 8column 9column 10
yes abyes bayes aayes abyes abyes abyes abyes aayes abyes ab
no abno aano aano aano aano abno aano aano abno aa

So if set #1 shows "yes" in column 1 this should convert to "yes ab" from set #2, and a "yes" in column 2 converts to "yes ba," and so on.

I need a conversion so that columns 1-10 in set #1 will show the values from columns 1-10 in set #2. I need this to be a robust flow because there are way more than 10 columns, data #2 will periodically update with new suffixes, and at times the data in set #1 may increase from "yes, no, -" to something like "yes, no, maybe, sometimes, often, rarely, -".  Set #2 would update accordingly so the values would mirror set #1 but again with variable suffexes.  Appreciate any help, thanks. 

3 REPLIES 3
AGilbert
11 - Bolide

Here is an idea centered around transposing both tables and extracting the yes/no value from set #2 in order to match with set #1. 

Screenshot 2024-05-14 151158.png

Rob48
8 - Asteroid

Hi AGilbert, thanks for this.  I'm weak on REGEX formulae, can you explain what's happening in the formula tool here:

REGEX_Replace([Value], "(\w+)\s(\w+)", "$1")

reason I ask is I oversimplified my sample data, the two data sets are better represented here:

Set #1:

Datacolumn 1column 2column 3
aaa1yesno-
aaa2yes-no

Set #2:

column 1column 2column 3
yes widget abyes widget abyes widget aa
no widget abno widget aano widget aa

Set #1 is the same but Set #2 has added characters after the "yes / no" and the REGEX formula is dropping the "widget" when it creates the key column, so it's returning "yes xx" and I need "yes widget xx."

The "_widget_" characters are consistant so the variable suffix is the "aa/ab/xx" characters. Can we alter the REGEX formula to get the desired return?  

AGilbert
11 - Bolide

Sure thing. At their core, regex patterns are used to match string data. The basic elements can define what character to match and how many of those characters to match.

For example, 'a' will match an 'a' and 'b' will match 'b'. To match one of many letters character classes can be defined with square brackets (example: [ab] or [a-z]). Because these are so common that predefined classes such as \w, \d, and \s, were created as a shorthand to match any alpha, any digit, and any whitespace characters respectively.

As for the match quantity, the elements above can be followed by a + for "one or more", a * for "zero or more", or ? for "zero or one". 

So, the expression I gave is looking for one or more letters, a space, and another set of one or more letters. 

Wrapping certain elements in parenthesis is called grouping. These capture the text an element matches, to be returned with "$1" (indicating the first captured group). 

You should try out https://regex101.com/ . It's a great tool which give immediate, visual feedback for an expression. 

The regex rabbit hole goes deep, and you can make some very strict expressions. Alternatively, like the example I gave you, expressions can be somewhat forgiving. You just need to consider your use case and how variable your input text may be. 

In this case, if the text and schema is standardized, you could try "(\w+)\s(\w+)\s(\w+)" where "$1" = yes/no, "$2" = widget, and "$3" = aa/bb/ab. But this is keeping things pretty simple. 

regex.png

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels