Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Converting Date to String

I need to convert a date to a string and then back to a date as I am experiencing the problem outlined in this article.  How do you go about converting a Date to String?

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/50476941/error-while-writing-data-from-python-to-redshift-invali...

8 REPLIES 8
Hakimipous
10 - Fireball

Hi !

Did you take a look at the DateTime Tool in the Parse section ?

danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Hi

To change a date to a string, use the DateTimeFormat(dt,f) function in a formula tool (Find examples of the function under the DateTime section on this page).  The syntax for the format string, the f parameter, is unique to Alteryx so check out DateTimeFunctions.htm for samples

Dan

Hi Dan, 

I am trying to convert a Date Field (coming from Salesforce) into a String or Number as when I attempt to move the date field to Amazon RedShift it gives me an error because there are blank values (not all rows have certain dates completed).   With that said, I have read that I can turn the date field into a string or number and then work with it outside of Alteryx (within Tableau) that way. 

Everything I see is about turning a string into a date, not the other way. 

Thanks in advance for any further assistance you can provide. 

David

Hakimipous
10 - Fireball

@cockrumconsulting 

The DateTime tool allows you to convert a Date field to a string, or even the Select tool allows you to do so.

Isn't taht what you are looking for? 

datetime.PNG

That does help… I now get Delimiter not found error.

[cid:image001.png@01D4541F.2B078720]
Hakimipous
10 - Fireball

@cockrumconsulting 

Could you post a screenshot? 

And meanwhile try to change to format with the Select tool, it's the simpliest way.

I could help further if you provide a sample of data

Figured it out… Turns out I needed to uncheck this field on Output Data (to Redshift).

[cid:image001.png@01D45426.BF834A90]
Hakimipous
10 - Fireball

@cockrumconsulting

Great to hear :D 

Could you please mark this as solved ? 

Labels