Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Conversion errors

izzy25593
5 - Atom

Hi 

I am inputting invoice data which is coming into alteryx as a v_string. 

I am not doing any calculations on the column.

When it outputs an excel file, I have to manually convert to number before I can do anything with it as its not stored as number but text. Which defeats the whole object of us using alteryx.

I have tried setting it as float, I get conversion errors saying 'its not a number'. Same if I change the data type to double.

Any ideas?

5 REPLIES 5
alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Can you provide some data examples? Likely there are characters that need to be cleansed before the numeric conversion.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @izzy25593 

I believe that your input is appearing with the decimal separator comma inside of alteryx, right (e.g. 10,31)?

Try to replace "," by "." for all columns that needs to be numeric and convert to number again (e.g. 10.31).

replace({column], ",", ".")

If this is not the case, please share a sample of your data.

izzy25593
5 - Atom

Hello

I can't share sample data but a screen grab of the view... its quite clean data as its a SQL extract but in excel (different networks hence not connected to SQL)

Capture.PNG

alexnajm
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

What is the specific value causing the conversion error? It will list it in the audit log in the Results window

jdminton
12 - Quasar

The error indicates that something doesn't fit the float criteria. Commas don't seem to be an issue based on your screenshot, but a dash (-) instead of zero can cause an issue, any letters or punctuation besides a decimal can cause isssues, also, I have seen errors appear where the file includes rows without values for those fields. Can you share the conversion error messages as a screenshot?

Labels