Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Connecting Recently Made Excel Workbook to Email

Mike_at_CG
8 - Asteroid

Hi All

First post to the community.  Wanted to see if there was a way to connect the most recent file made to an email?

This is run every Monday and updated to that date plus a file name.

Mike_at_CG_0-1664829293898.png

Is there a way to take that most recent file and attach to an email?

Thank you

8 REPLIES 8
Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Mike_at_CG 

Here is a way of doing this, take a look at the attached workflow.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1664840822306.png

If the provided answer helped you to solve the problem/was correct, please accept it as a solution :)

Thanks.

Mike_at_CG
8 - Asteroid

Hey Felipe.  Appreciate the response.  Not sure I know what I am looking at there.  

The formula tool - Can you confirm what the output part is saying?  I am able to recognize the email portion of it.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Mike_at_CG , take a look at this updated version. Please tell me if something is not clear.

The OutPutFilePath is something like FileFolder\Filename.csv, it is the path of your output file. After writing your output file the path will be sent to the email tool attachment field.

Felipe_Ribeir0_1-1664840958111.png

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1664831611570.png

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Mike_at_CG 

It worked?

Mike_at_CG
8 - Asteroid

Hey Felipe.  Really want to give you credit for the help but not really sure where your flow fits into my workflow.  Any way you can with that?

Mike_at_CG_0-1665065334832.png

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Hi @Mike_at_CG 

It is possible for you to share this workflow here with some fake input data?

Anyway, based on your workflow image, it would be like that:

1)On your last formula tool, add a new column with the name OutputFilePath. The content of this formula is the place where the file will be saved 'FileFolder\_RCB Weekly Model.csv'

2)Add a stop until done tool after the formula.

3)The first output from stop until done will go to the output tool

4)The output tool must be configured like the image bellow

5)The second output from stop until done will go to the email tool

6)The email tool must get the  OutputFilePath as attachment.

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1665066050382.png

You have experience sending emails with Alteryx? Configuring the tool i mean.

Email Tool | Alteryx Help

Mike_at_CG
8 - Asteroid

This actually makes a lot of sense now. So thank you for that.  Someone else actually built this flow and I was just trying to add the email portion as the final touch.  Can you confirm if the Output file column will end up in the final CSV?  I only ask because I dont want to mess up the data in the final output.

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Yes, if you keep the .csv at the OutputFilePath formula and configure the output tool like this, it will work

Felipe_Ribeir0_0-1665067088878.png

What i suggest you to do is save this modified workflow as workflow_v2 locally and test it. Keep the version from the other guy as it is, so you will have the original version of the workflow if necessary.

Labels