Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Coffee Roulette

craigja
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a number of teams in my department who take part in a coffee roulette - basically you get randomly paired with somebody else, grab a coffee and have a chat.  Im looking to somehow automate the election of the coffee buddy.....

There is only 1 rule - you cant have coffee with somebody in your team.  Any ideas how I can automate this?  I have a small excel spreadsheet with about 60 names and half a dozen or so team names.  Im thinking it would need to be a macro but I've never done one before!

16 REPLIES 16
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @craigja,

Hoped you didn't reach that point so early lol.

The problem which I was aware of is that if the last 2 records remaining belong to the same team it will keep running forever.

I "corrected" the error and should be better now.

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

craigja
8 - Asteroid

I dont understand whats different between my data and yours - I get people pairing up with nobody but with the sample data I created its fine.  Going to a meeting, will have a look at my actual data when im back

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @craigja,

I don't knwo why it is not working for you. I checked it again and its working fine for me. The only thing that comes to my mind would be if there were an uneven amount of people, like 59 people there would be one extra if I am making groups of two.

Untitled.png

If this post helps, then please consider Accept it as the solution to help the other members find it more quickly.

Regards

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @mandychungkx ,

Could you please share the input on this thread? It appears to have the name duplicated on the Team column.

Regards

mandychungkx
5 - Atom

Hi @afv2688

Sure thing. Regarding Team- Everybody is actually on the same team, therefore for unique value input I have duplicated the participants names onto the team column. This is to ensure that matches will be made.

However for the first 11 rows, I have put the team as DX because these people cannot be matched with each other. I know the workflow was set up that people on the same team cannot be matched with each other. 

thanks, 

Mandy 

Hi I was wondering could you share the spreadsheet for the coffee roulette

Hi Can you share this in a different format I can not seem to open. 

Labels