Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance between 2-3 hours, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Calculating Fiscal/Financial year (Australi)

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Hi all

I know this question has been asked many times, so I apologise in advance, and hope it's a quick and easy answer 😊

The Australian Fiscal/Financial year is from 1st July to 30th June.

Can someone tell me how to create a formula to display the correct FY, based on a date format of YYYY-MM-DD ?

8 REPLIES 8
FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

Hey @StephenT,

You could use a formula like the following:

FrederikE_0-1662067429369.png

Just compares if the month is July or later, then the year is taken as the FY, otherwise the prev. year is taken as the FY.

DataNath
17 - Castor

@StephenT would something like this work? I already had this calculation made for another project of mine - just adapted it to suit the Australian dates! Let me know if it it needs any amendment. Obviously for your use case you'd replace all of the instances of [%Dummy Date field%] with your own target date field.

DataNath_0-1662067550253.png

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DataNath 

Thanks for the formula.

I've added the formula to my workflow however i have just noticed that some dates are appearing in the wrong fiscal year, e.g. some date of 2022-07-02 are showing as in both  FY 2021/22 and FY 2022/23.

I did have to make 1 small modification (modification below), as based on your formula the date of 2022-06-30 was showing on the FY 2022/23, instead of the correct FY of 2021/22.

StephenT_0-1662087156529.png

After this modification i now have 2022-07-01 showing in FY 2021/22 as well as FY 2022/23, so not sure what I have done wrong

DataNath
17 - Castor

Hey @StephenT, apologies, I had the complete wrong month in mind when adjusting my formula! If you change the bit you’ve circled to ‘-06-30’, does that remedy the issue?

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

I reverted back to -06-30 and It's now showing 1 instance of 2022-06-30 in the FY of 2022/23, not 2021/22

DataNath
17 - Castor

@StephenT apologies but I’m no longer near my laptop and heading away now. Did some extensive testing for my project and always seemed consistent. Is your incoming field definitely a Date rather than perhaps DateTime or something? Only other thing I can think of trying (unless I’m missing something obvious) is to wrap the incoming date or the other side of the > in the ToDate() function I.e. ToDate(ToString….’-06-30’).

StephenT
8 - Asteroid

Hi @DataNath 
I re-checked my workflow and noticed the date field was actually set yo date/time, instead of date.
I have changed it to date, and it works perfectly.
I will like your reply, and accept it as a solution
Thanks for your help

maredibelgrado
5 - Atom

Hey @DataNath and @StephenT,

Thank you both for discussing this question in the community. I read many pages within the community and I could not seem to find an answer. This was exactly what I was looking for.

Much appreciated!

Labels