Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Backfilling a column with an expected value

jdallen75
7 - Meteor

Hello, 

The ultimate dataset in my macro has 2 header rows which are prepended using a Text Input tool, at which point the Filter Province is Null:

Sample dataset.jpg

The subsequent rows are generated in the macro using a control parameter and filter loop, so each iteration through the loop, rows 3 onwards will all have the same Filter Province.

My goal is to backfill the Filter Province of the first 2 rows to match. I tried using a multi-row formula with [Filter Province + 1], but that only backfills row 2. I was thinking a formula, where if Filter Province is null, use an aggregate like "Last" or "Max", but can't identify the right operand.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

2 REPLIES 2
chandler-gjino
Alteryx
Alteryx

you could try the same logic but instead of [Row+1:Filter Province], do 

if isnull([Filter Province])
then [Row+2:Filter Province]
else [Filter Province] endif

just be sure to increase the 'Num Rows' to 2 in the upper configuration

jdallen75
7 - Meteor

Excellent - I forgot the fact that one can increase the number of rows forward/backward. Thanks!

Polls
We’re dying to get your help in determining what the new profile picture frame should be this Halloween. Cast your vote and help us haunt the Community with the best spooky character.
Don’t ghost us—pick your favorite now!
Labels