Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Append data to Teradata table without doing a full refresh

vibes360
8 - Asteroid

Hi All,

I have a workflow where I write the output of multiple excel files to a Teradata table . Every time I want to add new data to the table, Alteryx does a full refresh by adding all the existing data again and dropping the existing table and creating a new table from scratch. 

Please is there a way where if I want to add new data / refresh the table in Teradata, Alteryx only appends new data to the Table and does not do a full refresh?

Currently, I am using the Data Stream in tool to write to Teradata. I have also attached a screenshot of my workflow below

vibes360_0-1649236773582.png

6 REPLIES 6
mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @vibes360 ,

You can use the Output tool to connect to your Teradata instance:

mceleavey_1-1649237495568.png

Then you can use the functionality which allows you to update the existing records and add any that are new. For this, you will need all columns to be present and mapped to the appropriate table:

mceleavey_0-1649237476193.png

This will then apply any changes to existing records and add any new ones.

I hope this helps,

M.

Bulien

vibes360
8 - Asteroid

Thank you

I tried your ideas but I get the error "Primary Key required for update option". Please how can I solve it?

vibes360
8 - Asteroid

Thank you Mceleavey

I tried your solution but I get the error "Primary Key required for Update option". Please how can I solve it?

I have also attached my output settings page

vibes360_0-1649242638996.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

@vibes360 ,

This occurs when you do not have EVERY column in your data. If you are missing a column, even one you're not using, you will need to create them as blank fields using a formula tool. All columns in the Teradata table MUST be in your data, even if they are blank.

M.

Bulien

vibes360
8 - Asteroid

@mceleavey,

Thank you for your reply but I have checked many times and seen that all the columns are in the input files I am connecting to  the database table and I still get the error Primary Key required for update option.

Currently, I have also tried to write to the database table when there are no new files or new data to be added and I get the same error. Please could you help with the solution?

vibes360
8 - Asteroid

-

Labels