Important Community update: The process for changing your account details was updated on June 25th. Learn how this impacts your Community experience and the actions we suggest you take to secure your account here.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Append Data to Template then re-save file name with date - Possible?

recoilx
8 - Asteroid

Please tell me if this is possible because I can't seem to get this to work.

I have an empty template excel file on my C: drive that only contains Column Headers which are formatted.  I am trying to run a workflow that will take data, append it to the template file (Starting on second row) and then resave the template (with the new data) as a new file with today's date at the end of the file name.  I have attached some screenshots and the workflow but I can't seem to figure out a way of doing this.  Is this even possible?  Any help would be tremendously appreciated! 

3 REPLIES 3
SPetrie
12 - Quasar

It is possible.

The method I use involves the Blob tools.

You first copy the template file and save it as a new file so your original template remains untouched for future uses.

Then you output your data to the specific ranges you are wanting.

This is an example workflow I built for someone else a while back, but it think it should help you as well.

In this example, I wrote to two ranges in the same sheet of a template excel file that has sum formulas in it.

SPetrie_0-1683919059297.png

Template file

SPetrie_1-1683919101798.png

Output File

SPetrie_2-1683919139888.png

geraldo
13 - Pulsar

@recoilx 

What is happening is that the existing file is Template.xlsx.
And you in the formula tool change the name to template + year month and day. This file does not exist and you are appending a non-existent file,

I reviewed your flow at a glance

I put the attached workflow

geraldo_0-1683920010267.png

recoilx
8 - Asteroid

Thank you @geraldo and @SPetrie !

Labels