Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Adding new column in a lengthy workflow

Lumjing
8 - Asteroid

Hi I have a lengthy workflow and am trying to add a column in the input tool. Do I have to go through the entire workflow to select the new column and click select to have the column added in my final output select tool. Lately I had to add many new columns and its time taking to manually go through the workflow and click select and refresh the workflow to get the new column appear. Is there and easier way to add a column from the beginning input tool to let it appear in the output select tool. Your help will be much appreciated. Thanks

3 REPLIES 3
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @Lumjing,

If you didn't summarize the data along the way it should be reflected at the end of the workflow without any changes. 

In each select tool there is an unknown column and the new column should be added without any changes in the workflow if you got it selected. 

Emil_Kos_0-1602502876808.png

Unfortunately if you remove the column along the way you will need to make many manual changes in order to get this data into your output.

Sorry for that. 

PhilippK
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi @Lumjing  ,

just select "unknown"

-> next time the input changes (e.g. additional column), this setting is going to automatically add the new columns.

PhilippK_0-1602502996881.png

Best regards

Phil

atcodedog05
22 - Nova
22 - Nova

Hi @Lumjing 

This option of dynamic unknown column is available in all tools which has a dynamic select.

Like Join Tool

atcodedog05_0-1602503230778.png

Transpose tool

atcodedog05_1-1602503254002.png

Etc hence its really handy

Hope this helps 🙂

Labels